The last leg of the race to the sun ended this year on the seafront in Nice and must have been to the liking of local fans. With Arthur Vichot (FDJ.fr), the reigning French champion prevailed at the end of an exciting final. Second was José Rojas (Movistar) ahead of Cyril Gautier (Europcar).
The Colombian Carlos Betancur (Ag2R-La Mondiale) secured the overall victory. He fended off every attack from his competitors on the last climb of the race, the Col d'Eze. Second in the overall ranking was the current world champion, Portuguese Rui Costa (Lampre-Merida). For Costa, who was involved in a fall in the final meters, it was the fifth second place since winning the rainbow jersey. He has not been able to win since then. Thanks to the day's victory, Vichot finished third overall.
This year, the organizers of Paris-Nice had dispensed with time trials and mountain finishes, thus ensuring a close race. So also on the last day. At the Col d'Eze it was finally Simon Spilak (Katusha) who, together with Frank Schleck (Trek Factory Racing), was able to break away from the group of favourites. Since both were in a promising position in the overall standings, the teams of the other favorites had to catch up. Schleck, who was only caught a few meters from the finish line, showed the greatest staying power.
John Degenkolb (Giant-Shimano) was the driver with the best points in the tour.
1. Arthur Vichot (FDJ.fr) 3:06:56
2. Jose Rojas (Movistar) 0:00:00
3. Cyril Gautier (Europcar) 0:00:00
4. Damiano Caruso (Cannondale) 0:00:00
5. Wilco Kelderman (Belkin) 0:00:00
1. Carlos Betancur (Ag2R-La Mondiale) 35:11:45
2. Rui Costa (Lampre-Merida) 0:00:14
3. Arthur Vichot (FDJ.fr) 0:00:20
4. Jose Rojas (Movistar) 0:00:21
5. Zdenek Stybar (Omega Pharma-QuickStep) 0:00:25