The eleven-kilometer individual time trial on the Lusail Circuit found a winner in Australian time trial champion Michael Hepburn (Orica-GreenEdge), who was not necessarily in the equation before the race. He benefited from the fact that he had to start relatively early and thus found better conditions than the favorites in this discipline.
On the MotoGP track, the clock stopped at 13:28 in Hepburn's case. All other drivers bit their teeth at this time. Only Lars Bomm (Belkin) managed to get within a second of the Australian. Third was Daniele Bennati (Tinkoff-Saxo), who was already six seconds behind, as was three-time time trial world champion Fabian Cancellara (Trek Factory Racing) in fourth.
The Belgian winner of the previous day, Tom Boonen (Omega Pharma-QuickStep), also drove a good time trial and is now in fourth place overall. However, the overall victory of his teammate Niki Terpstra, who was fifth on the day, should hardly be shaken. Marcel Sieberg (Lotto Belisol) is the best German in eighth place.
1. Michael Hepburn (Orica-GreenEdge) 0:13:28
2. Lars Boom (Belkin) 0:00:01
3. Daniele Bennati (Tinkoff Saxo) 0:00:06
4. Fabian Cancellara (Trek Factory Racing) 0:00:06
5. Niki Terpstra (Omega Pharma-QuickStep) 0:00:08
1. Niki Terpstra (Omega Pharma-QuickStep) 6:57:06
2. Jurgen Roelandts (Lotto Belisol) 0:00:21
3. Lars Boom (Belkin) 0:00:24
4. Tom Boonen (Omega Pharma-QuickStep) 0:00:28
5. Ian Stannard (Sky) 0:00:35