The second stage of the Tour of Oman over 139 kilometers from Al Bustan to Quriyat ended with a sprint victory for the Norwegian Alexander Kristoff (Katusha). The bronze medal winner of the London Games relegated the previous day's second Leigh Howard (Orica-GreenEdge) and Tom Boonen (Omega Pharma-QuickStep) on the courts. Markleeberger Robert Förster (UnitedHealthcare) finished fourth.
Due to second place, Howard takes the lead from André Greipel (Lotto Belisol), winner of the opening round.
The stage began with a minute's silence for Belgian Kristof Goddaert (IAM), who died tragically yesterday. But shortly after the start, the thoughts of some drivers were already on the race again. As the day before, it worked Preben van Hecke (Topsport Vlaanderen) to overtake the field with two competitors. The trio led at times by a margin of almost eight minutes. However, they were caught again ten kilometers from the finish. Then the teams of sprinters prepared for the final.
1. Alexander Kristoff (Katusha)
2. Leigh Howard (Orica GreenEdge)
3. Tom Boonen (Omega Pharma-QuickStep)
4. Robert Foerster (United Healthcare)
5. Nacer Bouhanni (FDJ.fr)
1. Leigh Howard (Orica GreenEdge)
2. Alexander Kristoff (Katusha)
3. André Greipel (Lotto Belisol)
4. Preben van Hecke (Topsport Vlaanderen)
5. Tom Boonen (Omega Pharma-QuickStep)