Just three days after the World Championships in Hoogerheide, a kind of revenge race was on the agenda for many drivers in the city park of Maldegem. Although the new world champion Zdenek Stybar (Omega Pharma-QuickStep) was not there, the old world champion, who now wears the jersey of the Belgian champion, was there. And Sven Nys (Crelan-AA Drink) did credit to this jersey.
Together with Tom Meeusen (Tlenet-Fidea) and Niels Albert (BKCP-Powerplus) he broke away from the rest of the competition by halfway through the race. Four laps before the end, he finally attacked his two competitors and then drove towards an unchallenged victory. Meeusen finished second behind him. Albert was third, followed by Lars van der Haar.
1. Sven Nys (Crelan-AA Drink) 1:00:44
2. Tom Meeusen (Telenet Fidea) 0:00:12
3. Niels Albert (BKCP-Powerplus) 0:00:23
4. Lars van der Haar (Rabobank) 0:00:27
5. Corne van Kessel (Telenet-Fidea) 0:01:10