After Nairo Quintana (Movistar), second in the 2013 Tour de France, had to be content with third place on the second stage of the Tour of San Luis, today's fourth stage from El Potrero de los Funes climbed up to the Alto del Amago the hour of the Colombian climber. In the final he sent off Sergio Godoy (San Luis Somos Todos) and Darwin Atapuma (BMC).
Even more than the day's victory, however, a look at the overall ranking should reveal tension. The American Phil Gaimon (Garmin-Sharp) did not have a good day and lost more than four minutes. His lead is just four seconds.
As in the days before, the group of the day formed again a few kilometers after the start. Again, it was drivers from the smaller South American teams who put themselves in the limelight. At the finish line, the lead finally melted away. On the last few kilometers it was initially the BMC team that pushed the pace. But neither Atapuma nor his colleagues were up to the challenge of Quintana.
1. Nairo Quintana (Movistar) 4:15:33
2. Sergio Godoy (San Luis Somos Todos) 0:00:50
3. Darwin Atapuma (BMC) 0:01:32
4. Enzo Moyano (San Luis Somos Todos) 0:01:39
5. Lucas Euser (United Healthcare) 0:01:45
1. Phil Gaimon (Garmin Sharp) 16:54:41
2. Nairo Quintana (Movistar) 0:00:04
3. Marc De Maar (United Healthcare) 0:01:15
4.Darwin Atapuma Hurtado (BMC) 0:01:36
5. Sergio Godoy (San Luis Somos Todos) 0:01:45